The 2018 MMC was a huge success. From the concerts and sessions to the meetings and receptions, every
minute was worthwhile. Listed below are a few highlights:
- The teacher orchestra, conducted by Alan MacNair, premiered a new piece by Bob Phillips in memory of string teacher, Jenny McGraw. Her family attended the concert. INSPIRING! Also on the concert was a finalist of the 2017 MASTA solo competition, Joseph Skerik, who wowed us with a Brahms viola solo.
- Scott Laird, MS All-State Orchestra conductor and Larry Livingston, HS All-State Orchestra conductor were DYNAMOS on the podium – fun to watch in rehearsal and totally effective in concert. Both groups’ concerts were stunning.
- MASTA Headliner, Louis Bergonzi, was a great clinician and packed the Imperial room for his ‘understanding LGBTQ issues’ in the classroom. He really gave us some good things to think about.
- The MASTA booth was the place to be in the exhibits. Over a hundred swag bags were given out along with camp posters, documents and other freebies.
- Executive Board, Board and General Membership meetings covered agendas in record time.
- Burke Lokey, Nick Mosley and Jonathan Glawe accepted the plaque for National ASTA Website Award 2017.
- TWO fun MASTA receptions were held – Thursday night for students and young teachers – was so inspiring to see the conversations around the room between under 20’s and over 60’s! The Friday night party for MASTA members and guests was packed and full of laughter and shop talk.
- Marla Smith was awarded 2018 MASTA Studio Teacher of the Year. She will be acknowledged again at the Michigan Youth Arts Festival in May.
- Robert Ritsema was awarded a MASTA Career Excellence Award via FaceTime.
- The MASTA Make and Take was again well attended and well presented. Organized by President Elect, Dan Scott – Carol Johnson, Ted McDonald, Melissa Meyers and Nick Mosley presented great and organized info.
- MASTA Secretary, Linda Trotter, won the Exhibit raffle!
- Thank you to MASTA Donors – Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp, Baroque Violin Shop (who also provided our General Membership meeting door prize – a tote bag with a carbon fiber bow, t-shirt and several other string teacher goodies), Meyer Music, Shar Music and Detroit Violin Company.