Article by: Larry Hutchinson, DSO Musician and AVANTI Board Member
March 1st, 2017
ATTENTION TEACHERS! Please encourage your students to attend AVANTI for their summer music making experience! AVANTI is an intensive, week long, orchestra-training program where students rehearse daily with outstanding conductors and get daily sectional instruction with members of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. The program was developed and is run by the musicians of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Here are some of the features that make this a unique camp for your students:
- Students participate in daily rehearsals, but also receive daily sectionals with DSO musicians.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in side-by-side rehearsals with DSO musicians.
- In the AVANTI Finale Performance on August 6, the students will perform side-by-side with their DSO mentors on the Orchestra Hall stage in downtown Detroit.
- Students also sing in the AVANTI Chorus, giving them outstanding training to help develop their sense of ensemble, their musical ear, and their sense of artistry. The chorus performs at the Finale Performance.
- The AVANTI Concerto Competition is only open to AVANTI students. The winner performs at the AVANTI Finale onstage at Orchestra Hall.
- AVANTI also offers a side-by-side chamber ensemble program in which students rehearse chamber ensembles daily with a DSO mentor embedded in their ensemble. The chamber ensemble will perform in an AVANTI Festival Concert of Saturday, August 5.
- Students will have the opportunity to attend special classes in conducting, jazz theory, yoga and other optional classes during the week.
AVANTI DIRECTORS 2017
- Bryan Kolk – Orchestra Director at Troy High School, Troy, MI.
- Brandon Ulrich – Choir Director at Stoney Creek High School, Rochester, MI
- AVANTI SUMMER MUSICFEST, AUGUST 1-6, 2017
- Rehearsals and classes held 8:45am – 5:00pm daily at Derby Middle School, Birmingham, MI
- Saturday, August 5, 7:30 pm – AVANTI Festival Concert featuring musicians of the Detroit Symphony and AVANTI Chamber Ensembles
- Sunday, August 6, 1:30 pm – AVANTI Finale Performance at Orchestra Hall
To apply, please visit the AVANTI website, www.avantisummermusicfest.org. You will also find more information on the AVANTI website. If you have questions please call, text or email Faith Scholfield, AVANTI Camp Director at 734-756-9499 or firstname.lastname@example.org.