The University of Michigan String Educators Workshop will be held this year on Thursday June 22 through Saturday June 24, 2017 on the U-M North Campus in Ann Arbor.
The workshop is a wealth of information. This year Martin Norgaard will be joining our faculty, along with Abby Alwin, Megan McDevitt, and Molly Baugh. The workshop is a great opportunity to continue brushing up on your secondary instrument skills, learn about newly published music in a reading orchestra, and get LOTS of ideas for teaching strings at all levels. Martin will be leading sessions on improvisation.
Registration info is here:
Classes are offered in a diverse array of topics, including:
- Secondary instrument pedagogy classes for violin, viola, cello, double bass
- No Previous Experience classes for those with a band or choral background who are not string principals and others with little background in strings who find themselves assigned to teach orchestra. Instruments are provided – please tell your band and choral colleagues!
- Orchestra rehearsal lab
- Teaching improvisation and composition in orchestra
- Instrument and bow selection, instrument repair
- Conducting lab and string orchestra reading session
Questions? Please contact Michael Hopkins.